Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year Resolution vs Habit

What's the difference between a New Year Resolution and a habit?

I perceive one to be a plan, and the other an actual persistent action.

14 months ago, I came across FlyLady site. Since then, I have been building positive habits. How? After visualising what I want to accomplish, I set out an action plan and the necessary baby-steps. Then I incorporate these into my daily or weekly schedule, and do them until they become habits.  

Inspired by Dr Wayne W Dyer today: "Forget about those New Year's resolutions in which you decide on the first day of January how you will be conducting your life for the next twelve months. Instead, set up day-to-day goals for yourself, and then resolve to begin living with present moment awareness for the rest of your life. When you get good at living your present moments one day at a time, you'll see yourself changing right before your own surprised eyes. Remember, anyone can do anything for just one day, so tune out the sentences that keep you locked into your old self-defeating ways and begin to enjoy each day of your bright new year."

Yes anyone can do anything for just one day, then another day, and yet another, until it becomes a part of our life. So instead of stopping at making resolutions (New Year or otherwise), I make sure I bring it a step further by building corresponding habits into my life, and allowing myself to focus on one day at a time. No doubt it's an ongoing process. This method has enabled me to see progress and positive changes in my life. I believe taking consistent persistent actionable steps is key.

May all your New Year Resolutions come true.

No comments: